Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Hopeless Romantic - Harriet Evans - final update!


OMG!!!! I have finally finished!!! This is the best day of my life!!! Trying to read this has been a great chore. At first I abhorred the book and the author for making her main character, Laura Foster, so selfish and unlikeable, especially during her affair with Dan. Her life then goes bad, but it is a bit too much to expect the reader to feel sympathy for her. Later she goes on holiday to Norfolk with her family, which felt like it dragged too long, before she met Nick. Initially I like the way these two characters fell for each other, and the fairytale storyline, but after Nick’s secret was revealed, the book started to lag again. Nick become a dithering, weedy character and Laura became selfish, whiny and self-obsessed again. After that, the story just falls flat. Nothing in the rest of the narrative stands out, and none of the characters present themselves as likeable. At the end, I didn’t really care what happened to Laura, and the events that followed in the final parts of the story where predictable, and I think that Evans hasn’t achieved in telling the romantic story she wanted to. I’ve given it a chance – with other books, I would have stopped reading, but I thought that perhaps it might get better, but overall, A Hopeless Romantic has been a great disappointment. Reading the blurb of this book, I thought it was a nice idea, but I just never took to the character of Laura, and never interested in her story. 1 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment